* Hi there. This is a blog where I'll try, as best as I can, to describe the process of writing my first novel titled:

commrad calculator Quits Smoking

the littlest battle





I have a hearts problem. Other people, who will remain nameless, kill computer-time by trying to find the winning hand in Solitaire. Whenever I have a moment or two spare I've been trying to play what I call the 'moon-shoot grand-slam perfect game' in Hearts. This became my oh-so-lofty goal once I had reached my earlier self-imposed challenge of winning with a perfect '0' score. Of course all of these goals came about, much like this post, to distract me from what I should be doing on the computer: my schoolwork. Unlike the Hearts games I would play literally every lunch for a year in highschool against my good friends, I now play against the computer. I can win almost at will, since the computer is far more predictable than highschool friends, thus the challenges I make for myself. Playing Hearts then, for me, is more than just procrastination. Playing Hearts, for me, is more than just nostalgia for the days when my friends would always look at me with a suspicious eye knowing my love for the reckless failure of trying to shoot the moon. Playing Hearts for me is more than just having an easy victory over the computer rather than facing up to the war of my thesis. But playing Hearts, for me, alone at the computer trying to reach a self-pleasing goal, seems much less than all of those things combined.


Time to get to work.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Creative Commons License Comrade Calculator Quits Smoking by Mark Kowgier is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Canada License.